Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Misfit. Renegade. Law Student.

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Collect the whole set!

When I was younger, I knew kids who were avid collectors. Stamps, marbles, the usual stuff. As I've grown, the objects of people's affections changed to reflect their growing sophistication...Harry Bertoia chairs/sound sculptures, rare watches, first edition Sylvia Plaths, old Beatles records. Some of these people do it in hopes of future profit, some do it for the simple pride of having the disposable income, some due to an inexplicable (or not, if you believe in psychoanalysis) need to have THINGS.

I never was really into collecting personally. I have amassed a rather substantial amount of random items throughout my life, the majority of which I rarely see, let alone use. However, this compulsion is driven by my fear that as soon as I throw something away or sell it, I will have a legitimate need for it. (And I'm RIGHT, DAMN IT! *wink*)

Sometimes when I think about all of the stuff I have, and I think about people who have only the basics of survival (if that), and I think about how unexpectedly life and livelihood are lost (as in natural disaster, for example) I wonder: what the hell is the point?

It's pretty easy to decide that there is no point. That everyone should live as simply as possible, buying into the old saying "you can't take it with you." That being said, for better or worse, it is these little things, these collections which may be silly and futile, that among others things make life interesting and worthwhile for many. For some, life without things is not much of a life at all.

We're all so darn funny...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.